Saturday, July 30, 2016

'My Ripper hunting days', a Jack the Ripper novel I wrote

I've just finished writing my first novel which, I hope, will be published soon. It's titled 'My Ripper Hunting days'. Of course, we're talking about Jack the Ripper who viciously murdered five women in the eastern side of London in 1889. The East End was where the poor and miserable lived. Families would often live in a single room. The Ripper was a cleaver and well organized serial killer.

I've been working on this novel for years, and it required a lot of research to make sure references to streets, clothes, for example, were not only relevant, but historically correct.

The story goes a bit like this: When I was 14-15 years old, I found a well-preserved diary of a young man, Woodrow Reily, who worked at the London Hospital and was held at the Grosse-Isle quarantine station near Quebec City having caught typhus while crossing the Atlantic. He wrote how he met a man named Francis Tumblety, an actual Jack the Ripper suspect, and befriended him, but soon after becomes convinced this man is Jack the Ripper. The more evidence he gathers, the more he believes the East End murders may only be pieces of a larger puzzle in which Tumblety seems to be playing an important part. Will he get the whole picture and capture Tumblety the Ripper? Was he really hunting Tumblety, the Ripper or someone from his past, a dark past he even denies having gone through? You shall find out once you grab a copy of Reily's soon to be published diary, 'My Ripper Hunting days'.

Of course, I never found such a diary, but someone had to find it. So why not me? Then again, maybe I did actually find his diary. Anyway, I'll let you speculate. The story not only involves Francis Tumblety but also a couple of other well known persons such as Scotland Yard's Inspector Frederick Abberline, Whitechapel H-Division Sergeant William Thick, Vigilante Committee George Lusk and a well known crook named Le Grand. All reveal themselves a bit differently than we what we knew of them, and are often witty as Brits tend to be.

 The main character, Woodrow Reily had nothing to do with the Ripper case preferring one-way conversations between him and dead bodies of the pathological laboratory where he worked because "They don't talk back". Nevertheless, this ordinary and somewhat introverted guy pursues someone he believes is the Ripper and gets into a lot of trouble.

The difference in this story, compared to other JTR novels, is that we're not talking about police chasing the Ripper such as Allan Moore's 'In Hell' nor is it like Sphen Hunter's 'I, Ripper' where a journalist and the Ripper keep stalking each other. It's not a time-traveller Ripper story nor is it a Jack The Ripper against the Terminator kind of book.

I'll be back to share with you many aspects in this novel-writing experience of mine.








8 comments:

  1. Hi Bernard,

    This is Mike Hawley, author of The Ripper's Haunts, which is a compilation of the latest research on Francis Tumblety. I spoke on Tumblety at RipperCon in Baltimore in April. There is even more that I haven't published (soon). I noticed that you've reach out to some people about Dr. T, but you may like my perspective. I'm not certain I want to leave my email so publically, but I have contact info on my website www.MichaelLHawley.com -Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Michael,
      After finishing my novel which is already available on Amazon in the e-book version, but still waiting for CreateSpace to release the paperback version, one of my priorities was to get your book and commence to read it. The first thing I'm noticing is that we both went through the same historical research approach regarding Tumblety. We don't come to the same conclusion, but that's understandable considering the fact that I used him to set up an overall context for my fictional storyline.

      So I'll keep you updated once I've finished and will certainly offer you my comments on Amazon. If you wish to make a comment on mine, I would consider it a an honor. Let me first make the public announcement unless you express a serious interest in it.
      Bernard

      Delete
  2. Hi there Mike,
    You obviously noted that 'My Ripper Hunting days' is a fiction novel. Tumblety is one of the main characters, but the plot doesn't try to prove he was the Ripper. My main character, nevertheless, figured out the apparent contradiction between the common Ripper suspect's height and Tumblety's. His interest in female organs is covered in such a way in the plot that again my main character added it to his own evidence. You'll have to read the book to see how.

    Do I consider him to be the actual Ripper? I'm not so sure. But then why did I use Tumblety? Because he's probably the most intriguing, fascinating and flamboyant Ripper suspect. I went through a lot of research on Tumblety, certainly not as much as you did, and I admire you for having done it.

    I read your 2012 Ripperologist article on Tumblety's rings and really appreciated it. I actually used the ring 'evidence' in my book. I also read your Baltimore presentation and downloaded the podcast.

    Although the manuscript is finished, a final line-by-line reading is currently being done. I hope to see it published soon, Amazon's self-publishing services being the prime avenue I'm actually considering. Some alpha and beta reading has been done also, and the feedback was quite positive although no one had read the completed version yet.

    What do you think about the book cover?

    Exchanging with pros, such as you, has always been an enlightening experience for me. So Hi there Mike,

    Bernard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernard,

      It's great that we've connected through Facebook and have continued our discussion there. We certainly need to keep in touch! -Mike

      Delete
    2. It sure is. BTW, I'm half way through your book. I like the way you have introduced a new refreshing set of elements in your JTR= FT equation.
      Bernard

      Delete
    3. I just introduced both our books on the Ripperology Books Facebook a great pair of Tumblety book for Xmas: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1599481483654928/

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Bernard!

    Looking forward to read this.
    My JtR novel should be finished in Spring. It's in French.
    (I'm SirJohnFalstaff from casebook.org)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once mine is published on Amazon, I'll be working on a French version. Being a French Canadian like me, you can easily figure out how it's quite a challenge to come out with a Victorian era feeling in French. I've watched the French version of one of the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr, and comparing it with the original version, IMHO, there's something missing.

      Ce serait intéressant de pouvoir échanger avec vous sur nos façons de faire.

      Bernard

      Delete